Friday, 8 September 2017

Disappointing Drugstore Products #2

This kind of post is such fun to put together, but of course I realise that we all have different skin types, different likes and different expectations from products. So please don't take offence if I mention any of your favourites here: to quote one of my favourite CBeebies shows, "different is good".

Rimmel #Insta Fix & Go Priming and Setting Spray: £6.99 for 100ml
My issue with Rimmel's setting spray is not so much the actual product as its packaging. This bottle sprays out too much liquid into one spot, making it impossible to get a fine mist of setting spray onto my face. After many failed attempts to get this to work, I have decanted mine into an empty Makeup Revolution Setting Spray bottle. I haven't tried this product as a primer, but it works really well to hold my makeup in place now that I can control how much product I am using.

Collection Fast Stroke Defining Lash Waterproof Mascara: £2.99
I have two mascara fails to mention in this post. Firstly, this Collection offering which feels cheap (it only costs £2.99 to be fair!) and does my lashes absolutely no favours at all.
I can't see that this product gives my eyelashes anything much in terms of length, definition or volume. What it does give, however, is huge smudges under my eyes! I have given this mascara several chances, as I thought a waterproof drugstore mascara would be just the thing for a sunny, summer holiday.
But alas, all I was left with was panda eyes which had to be scrubbed at with waterproof eye makeup remover. Not a good look. My sister has had the same problem with this product, so although I love some Collection cosmetics, I would suggest avoiding this one.

George 3D Fibre Lash Mascara: £2
I was attracted to this George mascara by the pretty, metallic packaging. It only cost £2 so I wasn't expecting huge results, but sadly this smudged everywhere in a very similar way to the Collection mascara. At least the dark circles caused by this George one were easily removable with a quick swipe of a cotton bud. But still, this was a disappointment.

Max Factor Masterpiece Eyeliner: £7.99
The gimmick of this felt pen eyeliner is that it has a curved, paddle-shaped tip. Apparently this makes it easy to achieve thick or thin eyeliner looks. Well, not for me! It is very pigmented but I definitely prefer a traditional pen-style nib to create any kind of sensible line on my eye. I think there is a good reason that the top-selling felt tip eyeliner nibs are pointed, such as Kat Von D's famous Tattoo Liner: because that is what works! With a pointed tip there is hardly any work in creating a skinny line along the lashline, and it is simple to create a flick by resting the nib against the corner of the eye. You can also achieve a thicker line with a traditional nib just by quickly repositioning the pen. I can only create ugly, wobbly lines with this pen, and no flicks or wings at all. My trusty Collection 24 Hour Felt Pen Liner only costs £2.99 and does a much better job.

Benefit Dream Screen: Sample Size From A Set of Minis
Oh, the disappointment! Back in June, I treated myself to a set of gorgeous-looking Benefit skincare minis with some birthday money. This facial sunscreen with SPF 45 was one of the products I was most excited to try, as I am quite fanatical about protecting the skin on my face. For a start, I couldn't actually get any product out of this impractical, sample-sized bottle. It is teeny tiny in real life, and the plastic is firm rather than squeezy. Holding it up to the window, it didn't look as if there was much product in the bottle anyway. If you look to the left of the "Dream Screen" printed onto it, you can see where I actually had to hack into this with a bread knife to get a tiny amount of face cream out. I am not joking! Yes, it felt nice on my skin. No, I would most definitely not spend the full price of £27 (£27!) for a larger bottle of this. And yes, I cut my finger trying to get any product out of this ridiculous packaging which made the whole experience extremely annoying.

W7 Blush With Me Blush in Getting Hitched: £6.95
I bought this lovely blush tin at TK Maxx and I really like the design. Sadly, however, it just doesn't show up on my skin at all. It is my fault for buying such a pale shade, but even if I dip my brush into the pinker powders, it floats away to nothing on my cheeks.
I am clinging on to this product because (a) I love the tin and the brush, and (b) I am hoping than on my palest, Winter days, this will look a pretty pink on me. And if not then I can always use it as a translucent setting powder!

Avon True Nutra Effects Anti Ageing BB Cream: £8
This sounds like a great product: anti-ageing, SPF 15, skin perfecting. In reality, it looks orange, sparkly and patchy on me. I have honestly tried hard to make this work, applying thinner layers and mixing it with moisturiser, but I have failed. I wouldn't even use this in a makeup emergency! Also, it is only available in shades "light" and "medium" which is not much use to anybody, especially when "light" seems to translate to "orange".

Thanks for reading my thoughts on these products. Were any of them disappointing for you, too?
highstreet_beauty
Here's a link to my first Disappointing Drugstore Products post: http://highstreetbeauty1.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/disappointing-drugstore-products.html
Find Rimmel Insta Fix & Go here: https://www.superdrug.com/Rimmel/Rimmel-London---%23Insta-Fix-and-Go-Setting-Spray-Universal-1/p/724241
Find Collection Mascara here: https://www.superdrug.com/Collection/Collection-Fast-Stroke-Defining-Mascara-Black-Waterproof/p/644602
Find Max Factor Masterpiece Eyeliner here: https://www.superdrug.com/Make-Up/Eye-Makeup/Eyeliner/Max-Factor-Masterpiece-High-Precision-Liquid-Eye-Liner-Black/p/493509
Find Avon BB Cream here: https://www.avon.uk.com/product/5417/avon-true-nutra-effects-anti-ageing-bb-cream?cb=-1518638498
Find W7 Blush With Me here: https://www.w7cosmetics.co.uk/collections/blusher/products/blush-with-me-getting-hitched
Find George Mascara here: https://groceries.asda.com/shelf/eyes/mascara/_/111055/1/shelf%3A0000%3A111055%3A%3ABrand%3A111055%2B4294965936%3AGeorge/sortBy/relevance%20desc

22 comments:

  1. I was so intruiged by that eyeliner but makes sense that it's more difficult than the classic one x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've never seen another pen eyeliner that shape x

      Delete
  2. I wanted to try Rimmel setting spray, but I know how bad it is to have splash in your face, like I hate that. I'll have to put it in other bottle then. xx

    https://simpleserenity.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, good idea. The setting spray itself is good xx

      Delete
  3. I have the same issue with the Rimmel Setting spray except I have nothing to decent it in. I live the NYX dewy spray so I might just repurchase that. The Maxfactor pen made be look like a complete amateur at makeup. Rimmel have a new pointed nib end one out so I've purchased that. BB creams never work for me and believe me I've tried so many. They go on all patchy. Somebody in benefit needs to go back to the drawing board about that packaging. Great review. Hope you had a lovely week Delyth x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fiona, I find the L'Oréal Nude Magique BB cream is a good one. This Avon one was shockingly bad on me! xxx

      Delete
  4. A pet hate of mine is mascaras that leave smudges, so I will definitely avoid those! That TKMaxx palette looks so pretty, what a shame it dosent show up! Great post as always my lovely xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kerry. I am still trying to make the blush palette work! They do them in other colours if you like the look of them xx

      Delete
  5. I have heard so many mixed opinions on W7 products, as a lot of people say the contour palette doesn't show up either which is a shame! Sorry these products haven't worked for you!xx

    Hannah | luxuryblush

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for reading. I have the W7 Hollywood Bronzer and that works well for me. I have heard conflicting things about their eyeshadows xxx

      Delete
  6. Max Factor and CoverGirl are sister brands and I have tried the same eyeliner but from CoverGirl (we don't get Max Factor here in Canada) and I hated it too. It's impossible to get a clean and sharp wing, I tossed it after 5 tries.

    Shireen⎜Reflection of Sanity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you agree! I was beginning to think I was missing something obvious about how to use it!

      Delete
  7. Arghh, I hate it when a product is disappointing . It feels like a waste to throw out, but you know you don't want to use it again! I haven't tried any of these products but I'll stay away from them hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, especially when you have heard good things and it turns out to be disappointing. But then sometimes it works the other way round and you get a nice surprise! x

      Delete
  8. I can't stand a mascara that smudges, it's a deal breaker for me, lol xx

    Indie// In Search of the Holy Grail

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh no, that eyeliner looks terrible. I think gimmicky eye liners should be banned. Benefit's They're Real liner grates on me so much. Its absolutely awful. I even tried that 3 dotted one by Bourjouis and hates that too. I just don't get the point xxx
    UmmBabyBeauty

    ReplyDelete