Friday, 14 April 2017

Disappointing Drugstore Products

These products were all disappointing for me. They might work for you though, so please do let me know if you enjoy them! Luckily we are all different, with varying tastes and these are simply my own, personal thoughts.

Nyx Soft Matte Lip Cream £5.50

These are very popular lip products and I do love their packaging and scent. But I find them difficult to wear. The formula is just SO matte that it makes my lips look and feel dry and flaky. I have tried plastering Vaseline onto my lips before applying these, scrubbing my lips and applying Soft Matte Lip Creams in thin layers with my fingertips, none of which helped. To make matters worse, I purchased this pale pink shade Tokyo which looks terrible on my skin tone and has been passed on to my blonde sister pretty swiftly.


You can see in this picture how uncomfortable it is to even smile once these have dried onto my lips! I am hanging on to the nude shades London and Stockholm because I love the colours and do wear them from time to time with a lip balm over the top but am always disappointed with their texture.
For an alternative matte lip, I recommend GOSH Velvet Matte and Kiko New Unlimited Stylo lipsticks which are in traditional lipstick form and comfortable to wear all day long.

Gosh Velvet Matte Lipstick £7.99



Kiko New Unlimited Stylo Lipstick £8.90

Benefit They're Real Push Up Liner £20 for full size

This is a sample size eyeliner which came in the beautiful Benefit Blushin' Babe powder set.
I had previously tried the Push Up Liner when it first launched years ago, as I do love a good eyeliner and I do love Benefit products in general. I didn't get on well with it at the time but thought I would give this sample size another try. Sadly I just can't get it to work well for me.
Too much product comes out, then too little comes out. The product itself is too wet and then it is too dry. In the time it takes me to fiddle with this little pen and its spongy nib, I can brush a line of black shadow onto my eyelid or draw an easy flick with a Collection 24hr Extreme Felt Tip Eyeliner. The blushes in this set were well worth the price though, and this was just an add-on, so I don't feel too bad as I let this liner go to a better home.

Maybelline The Nudes Palette £10
This was a bigger disappointment as £10 is about as much as I have spent on one drugstore purchase and I had high hopes for these nude eyesahdows. The colours look so perfect for wearing every single day, and indeed they are exactly the shades I do choose. But not from this palette! I use Tanya Burr's Birthday Suit palette and Makeup Revolution's Light & Shade or Chocolate Bar eyeshadows (all less expensive than this!).
I must have only used this Maybelline selection a handful of times. The shadows just don't seem to translate well onto my eyes. They seem far too much hard work to apply and to blend, and now when I see this sitting in my drawer I have negative associations with it so never pick it up. Writing this post has inspired me to try to get some use out of it though and maybe I will find a way to make it work. Watch this space!

Collection Lasting Perfection Ultimate Wear Foundation £5.99
I was very excited to try this foundation, as Collection make the famous Lasting Perfection Concealer and some other great face products. This costs £5.99 so I was expecting a pretty good formula. Collection claims that "this 6-in-1 foundation primes, conceals, covers, smoothes, protects and mattifies and Provides flawless coverage with innovative skin-lock technology for up to 16 hour wear with SPF20 protection". The packaging looks great and it pumps out a good amount of product. It does mattify the skin and stay in place.
Blended onto my hand

However, I think this lightest shade 01 Porcelain looks orangey on me, and the foundation takes a lot of blending into the skin. I feel very aware of it on my face and to me it looks obvious and cakey. I will continue to give this a chance and try to lighten the colour by combining it with other face products.
It works better for me mixed with L'OrĂ©al Nude Magique BB Cream in Light which makes the foundation easier to blend, but overall I am disappointed that it doesn't perform well on its own.

Do you agree with me about any of these products? Or are they your absolute favourites?
Thanks, as always, for reading,
highstreet_beauty
Find Benefit They're Real Push Up Liner here: http://www.boots.com/benefit-theyre-real-eye-liner-10199871
Find Maybelline The Nudes palette here: http://www.boots.com/maybelline-palette-the-nudes-10193897
Find Collection Lasting Perfection Ultimate Wear Foundation here: http://www.boots.com/collection-lasting-perfection-ultimate-wear-foundation-spf-20-10196694
Find Nyx Soft Matte Lip Cream here: http://www.boots.com/beauty/makeup/lips/lipstick-sealers/nyx-professional-makeup-soft-matte-lip-cream-14g-10207816
Find GOSH Velvet Matte Lipstick here: http://www.superdrug.com/Make-Up/Lips/Lipstick/Gosh-Velvet-Touch-Lipstick-Matte-Antique-003/p/499904
Find Kiko New Unlimited Stylo Lipstick here: http://www.kikocosmetics.com/en-gb/make-up/lips/lipsticks//p-KM0020102500144




26 comments:

  1. I love love the Nyx Matte Liquid Lipsticks. I have two and they are just about finished but my favourite are the Bourjois ones. I totally agree with you with reference to the maybelline Palette and collection foundation. Mine are sitting unloved in a corner somewhere. Really didn't suit me at all. Great review ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! I'm glad you agree with me about some products xx

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love nyx lip products but didn't like the shade Tokyo on me. It made me look like Barbie! I also wasn't impressed with the swatches from the maybelline eyeshadow palette so didn't buy it.

    http://www.sheergloss.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tokyo looks so good on other people! xxx

      Delete
  4. I didn't get on well with the Nyx Matte lip creams either.. they're almost chalky or something x. Great to read real honest reviews so I hope you do more! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they have strange texture but everyone seems to love them. My lips are quite dry and sensitive so I guess they don't suit everyone. Thanks for your lovely comment xx

      Delete
  5. I love the NYX soft matte lip creams, it's a shame they don't work for you! It's true that not every product agrees with everyone xx

    Hannah | luxuryblush♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for commenting. It's great that we are all different! I do love Nyx's traditional lipsticks xxx

      Delete
  6. I love the colour of the NYX soft matte it's a shame its so drying because I hate the feeling of dry lips but love the colour! x

    S x
    SHELISES WORLD

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love finding out what products do and don't work for people! It's so interesting. Such a shame that the NYX Lip Creams didn't work for you. I'm intrigued by them, but haven't tried them yet. As I can react badly to lip products (the joys of allergies) and I don't yet know what/which ingredients are to blame, I limit myself to just purchasing one product from a line. That way, if I react I've lost £5 instead of £15. So I may still pick one of these up, but only after swatching them to see how dry they feel on my hand.

    I haven't tried the Benefit Push Up Liner, but had a sample of it. I'm intrigued to see whether I have the same experience as you.

    Such a shame that you didn't get on with The Nudes palette. I've been really impressed with mine, but don't like Makeup Revolutions palettes. I find them powdery and the colours crease easily on me. I have a few of their palettes and am going to work on using them up, but I won't be buying more. Interestingly, a friend sent me her The Blushed Nudes palette because she didn't get on with it. I've not used it much, but I've been pleased with the shades I have tried.

    I love that there's something for everyone out there, it's just a case of finding what works for us. Xx

    Tania | When Tania Talks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree, and it's lovely to share and compare our makeup experiences! xxx

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have tried the NYX Soft Matte and I didn't find them too drying but they didn't stay on my lips very long at all, so I got rid. Ive only swatched the Maybelline Nudes palettes before and the pigment was awful, so I've never bought them. I really enjoyed your honest review x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I'm glad you agree with me about some of these products x

      Delete
  10. Such a useful post! I was looking at trying the NYX matte lips as I love matt lip colours, so I will probably try alternatives. You could try your nude palette with a damp eyeliner brush to use as an eyeliner? Might at least help you use it. Its so disappointing when we have something sitting in our drawer unused
    great post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much I will definitely do that. I love using eyeshadow as liner x

      Delete
  11. I too hate that foundation, it felt too cakey on the skin xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. I love reading honest reviews, especially about things I've thought I might try. I was thinking of trying the Collection foundation but might skip it now... I absolutely love their concealer but maybe the foundation is just the wrong formulation for someone who likes a dewy look. I have the NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream in Stockholm too - I haven't worn it too much but did find it ok when I did wear it. Great post :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I would definitely save your money on the foundation of you like a dewy look. I want to try one of the Bourjois or Max Factor ones next xxx

      Delete
  13. Great informative and honest post hun. I agree about the NYX soft mattes - they're cute but don't work on my lips as I'd like. Its a shame about the KIKO lipstick because I generally find them to do excellent lip products. And oh gosh yes..that Benefit liner is a crime. Silly product!!! Lol! xxx
    UmmBabyBeauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading, Sal. Yes I think Benefit could do much better! "A crime" lol xxx

      Delete
  14. I have Stockholm matte lip cream and I find it doesn't stay on! It's amazing how differently people can find a product isn't it? xx
    www.kayleytalksmakeup.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, always really interesting to hear other peoples' opinions on products I love/ hate xxx

      Delete